For whatever reason, my taste buds have mutated so that I can no longer enjoy the taste of American Cheese slices. As it was my go-to cheese for grilled cheese (trying to finish off the tomato soup I bought for Rysa’s wisdom tooth removal surgery), I improvised… and ended up making my pizzas into a grilled cheese.
- 2 slices of your favorite bread/per sandwich
- shredded mozzerella cheese
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- tomato soup/pizza sauce for dipping
- olive oil
- Pre-heat a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Chop your spinach and finely mince your garlic clove. Mix the two together.
- Drizzle olive oil on the heated pan, swirl to coat the bottom, and then lay the bottom piece of bread. Leave until toasted (2 minutes for me, but times vary).
- When toasted on the underside, lay mozzerella cheese, spinach, and garlic on the bread, top with the second slice, and lift up with a spatula. I recommend laying another little bit of olive oil on the pan (the first slice soaked most of mine up).
- When the oil is hot again (which should only take a few seconds, if your pan is good), lay the untoasted side of the sandwich down and heat until toasted and the cheese is all melted.
- You are welcome to heat your tomato soup or pizza sauce as desired, but I just cut my sandwich into strips and dipped into cold pizza sauce. (So much for using up the tomato soup.) Enjoy!