We’ve been trying to “branch out” in our home food options, so today, I made some Shrimps & Rice!
Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Kristina, you’re suck a stickler for grammar! Why would you say shrimps when you know the plural is shrimp?” That’s a great question. To answer, we must go back to my childhood……..
Now, on to the cookery!
Shrimps & Rice
- 5-6 large shrimp or 1/2 cup of small shrimps, thawed/fresh
- 1 cup of rice (I used brown)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup of frozen veggies OR fresh (mine was a frozen blend of carrots, peas, corn, and cut green beans)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 small OR 1/2 large clove garlic, finely minced/crushed
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the water and rice, sprinkle lightly with salt, and throw in your chopped veggies. Cook the rice as normal (I microwave 4-6 minutes) and this will thaw/steam your veggies in the process.
- Cut your shrimp into bite-sized pieces. Pre-cooked and de-veined are very easy to work with, but it’s your life, your shrimps! Do it how you know/feel comfortable. (Mine were frozen, so I had to thaw them first.)
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter. Finely chop/crush your garlic, if you haven’t, and add to the melted butter.
- Combine the shrimp bites and butter and stir.
This is where it gets a little tricky. If you used fresh shrimp, you’ll want to cook it first, which will means the shrimp will be hot. I used frozen shrimp, thawed them under running water, so mine were cold and the butter resolidified over them.
In my house, 1 cup brown rise and 1.25 cups water microwaved for 5 minutes gives crunchy rice with leftover water. *I* threw in my cold/buttery shrimps on top and microwaved for another 2 minutes, until the shrimp was hot all the way through, and this also fixed the problem with the crunchy rice.
Essentially, cook your rice/veggies, cook your shrimp, and combine however necessary at this point. Now you have buttery garlic vegetables, shrimps, and rice! Enjoy!
PS – MST3K Night of the Blood Beast is still my favorite of theirs. Probably because I saw the actual Night of the Blood Beast beforehand. Ahahahahahaha