I was hungry for something “heartier”, so I went through our freshly-stocked pantry and made up some Big Cheesy Chicken Tater Mess for dinner! It’s very similar to the original recipe, but with…more.
Rysa and I literally devoured this whole pan, so you know it’s gotta be good. (Rysa says it’s best with ranch dressing, but I had mine plain and simple.)
- 1 large russet potato or 2 small potatoes
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 small chicken breasts, fresh or fully thawed
- 5 slices of bacon (you can also use pre-made bacon bits)
- ½ cup of lettuce, chopped
- 1 Tbsp bread crumbs
- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of butter, melted
- ½ – 1 cup shredded cheese(s) of choice (I used mozzerella, colby jack, and parmesan)
- spices (I used parsley, basil, Himalayan pink salt, and my pepper blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a deep pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray (or use your grease of choice).
- Finely cube the potato and chop the lettuce. Layer across the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle a light layer of salt.
- Cut the chicken breast(s) into small, bite-sized pieces. Layer over the potatoes.
- Cut the bacon into little strips/bits, sprinkle over the chicken.
- Spice to taste. I did a healthy layer of salt, pepper, basil, and parsley.
- Lightly sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the pan.
- Melt your butter, if you haven’t, and stir in the chopped garlic. Mix and drizzle evenly over the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and sprinkle/grate your cheese of choice over the top. Bake another 20 minutes (40 min total).
- Enjoy the delicious mess!